Tuesday, September 29, 2015

The Backstory

My mother was someone who always believed and saw the best in people and things, no matter how difficult.  Because she loved to paint beautiful flowers, this project in part is inspired by her life and attitude towards it.

One of my older sisters has been in psychiatric care for over twenty years and when she was first admitted to a facility in 1989 she was released in a catatonic state.  We later discovered the facility was under federal investigation for abusive practices and the deaths of 5 patients over a 14 month period. It was written about in an investigative journalism piece by the Los Angeles Times.

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-10-12/local/me-2123_1_patient-care

When my mother passed away about five years ago I found this letter that she had written to President Clinton several years back sharing her hopes for my sister.

Dear Mr. President Clinton,
I’m enclosing an article I read in the “Rafu Shimpo” ( Japanese Newspaper) entitled “Jobs Sought for the Mentally Ill”. It looks like a good idea.

I have a daughter who is now in a place in Canoga Park where she is able to go in and out. Since 1998 (less than a year ago) she has been to several different locations to live; plus also stayed at eight different places for the mentally ill.

My husband and I wished there would be a permanent place where she can stay. Most places only keep their patients for a certain length of time.

I wish that a job program like the one mentioned here could have helped my daughter. It would be nice if every state had a program such as this.

Thank you for your time. I hope some improvement can be made so that people with mental problems will not have to move from one facility to another. Also, that those who can successfully hold a job can lead a life that they’ve always wanted.
Sincerely yours, N. S.

This project is evidence to me that God can redeem even the very worst experiences of our lives to bring about good.

I would like to use the arts to bring awareness that many individuals like my sister do not have permanent places to live, and show the need for resources to provide engaging and dignity giving activities for individuals who may have these challenges.

I want to thank psychiatric workers who take time to provide good care to their patients. It may not seem your work makes a difference, but when workers take time to treat and care, it means a great deal to family members like me - who cannot safely care for their loved one at home.

This is a picture of my parents, my sister and me. (I'm the baby in the photo)



If you would like to learn more about my family's story or support the work I am doing, please view my blog page

http://theexpressionproject.blogspot.com/p/white-family-members-story.html